Welcome to Inverness Forest Improvement District

Welcome to the website for Inverness Forest Improvement District (the “District”). The District provides water and sewer service to residential and commercial properties, approximately 1 mile east of the intersections of FM 1960 and Interstate Highway 45 North, and generally just to the west of the Hardy Toll Road.

What is a Water Control and Improvement District (WCID) or the Water District?

A Water Control and Improvement District (WCID) is a governmental entity that is created by and operates under the Texas Constitution and Chapters 49 and 51 of the Texas Water Code. A WCID provides water, sanitary sewer and/or drainage services to customers located within the boundaries of the WCID. In addition to those services, WCIDs may also provide public safety, garbage/recycling collection and disposal, fire-fighting, roads and recreational facilities to the communities that are within the WCID. Inverness Forest Improvement District is a WCID, and commonly referred to as the Water District.

NHCRWA Pumpage Fee Notice

You’ll notice that there is always a charge for “NHCRWA” included on your monthly water/sewer billing statement. This is for the groundwater pumpage fees of the North Harris County Regional Water Authority (the “NHCRWA”) that the District is required to pay on the amount of ground water the District’s produces each month. In the interest of transparency, the District passes through these charges to you based on the volume of water you use each month.

In the January meeting of the NHCRWA it was voted to reduce ground water pumpage rates from $4.60 per 1000 gallons to $4.10. These rate cuts, are the first cuts in the history of NHCRWA, will go into effect February 1, 2023. To better understand NHCRWA’s mission visit https://www.nhcrwa.com/.

By |April 28th, 2021|

Frequently Asked Questions About What to Do After a Drinking Water Advisory

When I turn on the faucet, the water sputters. Why?

  • You have air in your lines. Turn on your tap slowly and run the water until the sputtering stops.

The water is discolored. What should I do?

  • Flush water pipes by running the water until it is clear.
  • Do not wash clothes if the water is discolored. Wait until the water runs clear at the tap. Wash a load of dark clothes first.

Why does my water have a strong smell?

  • The smell is probably chlorine. Often, water systems will increase chlorine levels to disinfect the pipes.

What should I do if my water pressure is low?

  • Check the faucet screens for trapped particles. Remove the screens and clean out any particles. Put the screens back on the faucet.

Do I need to clean out my faucets?

  • Yes. You should flush your faucets after the drinking water advisory.
    • Turn on the main water valve.
    • Turn on the cold water tap at all faucets and run the water until you feel a change in temperature (i.e. the water gets noticeably colder). This may take several minutes. Begin with the faucet that is highest up in your home or building and then open the other faucets one at a time moving from the highest floor to the lowest.

Do I need to clean appliances?

  • Yes. Read the owner’s manual for directions to clean appliances such as water softeners and filter units.

My refrigerator has a water dispenser/ice maker. Do I need to clean them?

  • Yes. Water dispensers and ice makers are connected to your water line. You need to flush and clean them.
  • Follow the directions in the owner’s manual or:
    • Change the filter cartridges.
    • Throw out ice.
    • Flush the water dispenser for 3 to 5 minutes.
    • Run the ice maker for 1 hour.
    • Throw out all the ice.
    • Wash and sanitize bin areas.

Do I need to do something for the water softener?

  • Yes. You may need to run through a regeneration cycle. Follow the directions in the owner’s manual.

I have a water treatment unit for the house. Does it need special care?

  • Yes. Change the filter cartridges. Some units need disinfecting. Follow the directions in the unit’s owner’s manual.

By |February 21st, 2021|

Keep Our Levee Safe

*The following information was furnished to Inverness Forest Improvement District by the Harris County Flood Control District.

For those of you that do not know, we want to share information about the importance of protecting the subdivision’s levee from damage that all-terrain vehicles and motorcycles can cause.

There have been about 550 flood insurance claims since 1978 within the Inverness Forest Improvement District (District). Almost all of the claims were made prior to construction of the levee and detention basins. The Harris County Flood Control District (HCFCD) estimates 147 homes would have flooded during Hurricane Harvey if the levee was not present.

HCFCD constructed the levee, detention basins and pump station in response to the District’s petition, on the condition that the District would provide operation and maintenance services for the levee. The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) requires verification that the levee system has been maintained in accordance with an adopted operation and maintenance plan, in order to include the levee system on the Flood Insurance Rate Maps. Flood insurance would be mandated and the cost would be much higher if FEMA determined the levee was not being maintained properly.

BEING A DIRT EMBANKMENT, THE LEVEE CANNOT WITHSTAND REPEATED TRAFFIC ALONG THE TOP OR AT THE BASE OF THE LEVEE. All-terrain vehicles and motorcycles can cause rutting and erosion of embankment soils, which increases the District’s maintenance costs. The levee is for the protection of many homeowners within the District. The use of all-terrain vehicles and motorcycles along the levee and the three detention basins increases maintenance costs for everyone in the Inverness Forest subdivision.

HCFCD will assist with installation of NO TRESPASSING SIGNS along the levee, but we need the entire neighborhood to be on watch for persons disobeying these rules and to call our patrol officers if an unauthorized motor vehicle is present on the levee or detention basins. Trespassers can be prosecuted by HCFCD for having an unauthorized motor vehicle within the easements designated for the preservation of the levee and detention basins.

By |November 6th, 2018|

Go to Top